Request for Space
Waimairi Toy Library is a not-for-profit organisation, providing a huge array of quality, fun and safe toys for children from birth to 11 years of age. We have been operating for over 30 years and are part of a global network of toy libraries with over 200 throughout New Zealand. Our members are in the northwest Christchurch area (generally in Bryndwr, Burnside, Fendalton, Bishopdale and surrounding suburbs).
Play is fundamental to child development. Our inventory of toys promotes physical activity, fine motor movement, imagination, creativity, problem-solving, role-play, construction, matching, sharing, active listening as well as other social, physical and mental skills.
Our guiding principle – Play is the way!
- Provide a large range of current quality toys for families at very reasonable rates
- Encourage children to explore new interests through access to age appropriate toys
- Reduce waste – community hiring rather than buying
- A place for families to meet. Connected to our community.
Our Mission Statement:
Connected and present within the community, where children’s play is supported through affordable access to quality age appropriate toys.
Until recently we were based at Burnside Primary School hall, but had to move out as the hall is scheduled for demolition. Whilst the school is appealing this decision, the hall is currently unusable due the demolition of the surrounding buildings. Even if the appeal is successful, the hall requires substantial renovations and our return there is uncertain. We have temporary solutions – a click & collect service at the former winery at Rosebank until December, and then at Wairakei Primary School. However, the space at Wairakei is small and also scheduled for demolition (in 2-3 years’ time).
If we are unable to find a suitable long-term space, we will have no choice but to close our doors. This will have an immediate and long lasting impact on the surrounding community as we serve approx. 90 families who enjoy our service and a librarian whom we employ.
How can you help?
- We are looking for a building, or room that is a minimum of 60m2 (preferably in two rooms)
- As a charity we rely on the generosity of supporters to operate
- We have a librarian, so we need facilities such as power, bathroom facilities and heating
- We need off-road parking nearby, to make it easy for our members to return and take out toys.
More about our current library:
- We are located at Rosebank, 180 Johns Road
- We need at least 60m2
- We are open for Click & Collect Saturdays 9.30am-11.30am – we used to be open for browsing Thursdays 7-830pm and Saturdays 930-1130am
- We have 90 loyal member families (continues to grow)
- Employed Librarian
- We have an enthusiastic committee who share a passion for our toy library and our community
- We are financially self-sustainable (through membership subscriptions, toy hire fees and grants)
Our vision for our new library:
- A safe area for children to play
- Greater accessibility for people with disabilities and children in prams
- Enough space for all our toys to be under one roof and room to grow
- Central in our community
- A safe, secure and fun space for our members to connect, our Librarian to work and our committee to meet
- A vibrant and engaging space to support the educational, physical, psychological, social and cultural development of the children.
How we might align with your organisation’s guiding principles:
- active community participation through attendance at local events
- the development of children is the core of all we do
- we bring families and people together through play
- through toy hiring the community can reduce the amount of unwanted toys that end up in landfill
- offering toys that are high quality and durable, and/or made from natural products
- for families, through our toys that promote togetherness and physical activity such as games.
- we provide employment
- purchasing toys from local businesses
Thank you for taking the time to read this document, and learn about us and our need for help. If you could help us in any way we would be very grateful and would welcome any suggestions you have.
Waimairi Toy Library Chair
Mob: 022 0300 255
Email: [email protected]